Pete's pictures...

Races, track days, testing ...
Peter Taylor
Anti spam question: MSA

Pete's pictures...

Post by Peter Taylor »

I think that rather than post any racing Morgan photos I come across to the non-Bob thread; I'll put them on here. This will be on an as and when basis- for example if I see one when I'm looking for something else, I'll put it on Flickr and thence onto here. More often than not I will have no clue who is driving the car in question- please feel free to chip in with names or any other comments; as I'm a friend of Bob, my skin is a thick as that of a full-grown Rhinoscerpig. :shock:

Cheers,
Pete.

Here is one from the Donington Classic back in May.

Incidentally; if you Mog-racing guys want photos for the 2013 season from Oulton or Donington, give me a shout in advance and, if I'm covering that meeting, I can press the button at the appropriate time, hopefully. 8-[

All images strictly Copyright Pete Taylor. All Rights Reserved.
Last edited by Peter Taylor on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Bull

Re: Pete's pictures...

Post by Bob Bull »

I must make it perfectly clear that I have NEVER actually met this Taylor chap, so to claim friendship can only be on a 'virtual' plane. Having said that i am suure he is a vern nice man.

Pete,
If you take a look at my morgan sky drive site you will see what Morgans look like, which may help in pressing the big button at the right time.

Bob

PS; We have a pantomime running on Loose Torque :arrow:
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Great photos Peter - I really like to see the Morgans mixing it with more powerful and expensive cars.

XRX 1 is a famous Morgan now owned by the Kremers - father and son. RU ( number 39) the dark green Morgan is also an historic old Morgan owned by John Emberson and co-driven by Bill Wykeham.

Now you know!

Cheers

Mark
Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

Thanks for the response Mark; I've become fed up with pin-sharp three-quarter front views of single cars (which is what we have become inundated with in the digital age) so I often try to show what was actually happening in the race. The Editor of the VSCC mag has gone one step further and asked me to take "landscapes with cars", which is a nice idea!
Here we are at the Le Mans Classic back in '08; the Lister is not showing his lights to the Mog, out of shot on the left was a two-stroke SAAB, which he was tripping over in the wiggle-waggle before the Dunlop bridge.

...and on the grid we have two of those plastic cars either side of a wooden one (same one as in the earlier Donington shot!).

Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

Oulton Gold Cup 06; can't recall ever seeing one of those FIATs racing, before or since; also an unlikely-racer behind... not the Elan, the Lancia (if that is what it is).

Also available in yellow...

Knicker Brook chicane.

Yes, I ran away when Minshaw threw his E-Type at me; not because I thought he would come through the fence but because of all that rancid water in the tyre-wall!

It rained a bit.

Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

From General chat:

Peter Taylor wrote:
brakehorsepower.net

for Morgans & sports cars in competition

:?

Pete, for goodness sake do not take that too seriously as Morgan drivers consider there is no other sport's car in competition. That is only put in to avoid discrimination accusations. Elans definitely are not acceptable. I fear that some of your photo's with 'other marques' showing is considered borderline at best.
As a friend I am trying to help you here.

"Considered borderline at best"? Is that a general feeling?
I thought that they might have been of some interest, particularly if the drivers, etc. are on here.

Please let me know if you want me to continue, or I can remove the "borderline" shots in a couple of minutes.
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Keep those pictures coming; we Morgan drivers don’t mind mixing it with others especially if they are more powerful, but of course Morgan’s are the “First and Last of the real sports cars”
Barry
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

"Considered borderline at best"? Is that a general feeling?
I thought that they might have been of some interest, particularly if the drivers, etc. are on here.
Additional advice to new members; Never take anything Bob Bull post's too seriously. [-X

Pete they are great snaps, and Morgan poeple are very tolerant (they put up with me - mostly), and as Barry said, keep putting them up.

I've done it again- haven't I?

Cheers,

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

Like I said at the top Bob- skin like a Rhinoscerpig... :D

Now; lets see if I can find some "snaps"(!) of +8s being lapped by those 1558cc plastic cars from Mr Crapman. :wink:

One of the great things about historic racing is the mix of cars; in a race at Donington this year there was a 998 (I think) Ginetta showing the billionaires cars the way home. At Le Mans Classic this year I saw a Ferrari 250 SWB (my favourite car ever- bar none) being (half) passed by a Panhard and eclipsed by an Elite through a corner, of course he then disappeared up the straight but on the next lap the Elite was almost close enough to repeat the process and the Panhard was remarkably within near view. Of course I don't know about the various capabilities of the drivers. To my mind there is nothing nearly as dreary as a one-make or one model race.

Now here is a serious question from an engineer... why do the tricyclists fit their modern motorbike tyres in the wrong direction of rotation?

imho the VSCC should prohibit the use of white helmets.

Edit: to see what I mean, put your thumb over the offending helmet and tell me if it looks better.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I see what you mean Peter. As a matter of fact I tried to buy a black helmet when I first started competing in my ( four wheeled ) Morgan and could only find motor cycle helmets in black which weren't accepted for car racing.

As you know I love to see Morgans mixing it with the other cars - and if you can find some pictures with them racing against 250 SWBs that would be perfect!

I really liked the photos you had taken at the HSCC Gold Cup meeting at Oulton Park in 2006. I was spectating there that year but remember it was quite wet at times. The photo of the green and black Plus 4 was when it belonged to Dave Threadingham and was the ex: Andy Simm car. He was competing in the Historic Roadsports race hence the Fiat and the Lancia Aurelia B20 which was one of two which I raced against in this same championship for road going sports cars of the 50's and 60's for a couple of seasons before the Italian cars went off to play elsewhere!

The yellow Moss Box Plus 8 of Bruce Stapleton led from start to finish and won by a country mile!

Seasons Greetings!

Mark
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

What about this one Mark.........

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... 6rc-helmet

and leaves change for some petrol!
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

Don't text and drive....

Peter Taylor

Post by Peter Taylor »

Up the inside...

Bob Bull