AHK52F

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Chris Dady

AHK52F

Post by Chris Dady »

Richard Vogt raced this 1966 4/4 series V in 1972 and 1973 against very famous people like Andy Garlick, John Clark, John MacDonald, Doug Taylerson and Mary Smith. If anyone's archive of programmes runs back to those years can they help me identify races the car competed in please? :?:
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: AHK52F

Post by John Clarke »

Welcome back Chris - the grapevine had been humming about your latest purchase - is it one of the rare competition models?

Before people ask - i'm "Clarke with an e" - though have raced with a few of the demon racers mentioned by Chris but during the '90's. :-|
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Chris, we wondered where you had got to!

I do have programmes of meetings I raced at in the 1970s and will try to dig them out at some stage. I cannot offhand remember the name Richard Vogt, what else do you know about where it was said to have raced. Could it have been in the hands of someone else? As you know race programmes don't concern themselves with details such as registration numbers!

What colour was it in the 1970s? Could it have competed in speed events rather than circuit racing?
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Welcome Back Chris...
What happened to the Twin Cam??

jack
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Chris – Around that time I did mainly Car Trials as one could carry friends, dogs, etc in the car which even then was frowned on in races. I also did the odd sprint.

Cant find that name or any reference to a 4/4 Series V. I think the engine was 1500 cc (as opposed to the crossflow 1598 of my first Mog in 1969). So – looking for 1500 Mogs

At the Santa Pod sprint with John Lindsay which he says was 1969 (I thought was later) there are three 4/4 cars of 1498cc belonging to JD Brunner, N Upton, and R Norton.

At Lydden team sprint in Sep 1973 there was Roy Turner in a 4/4 1498cc (in Team Cranmog B)

I only starter racing a bit later and at Snett June 1975 there was Tim Milvain in a 4/4 Competition of 1599cc. . I think this is perhaps a 4/4 2 seater with crossflow engine and a few ‘lightweight’ mods – so probably not relevant. This raced again at S’stone in Sep described as green / black.

I don’t know of MSCC has records of cars belonging to club members

Richard Thorne may help as he has history of the car ‘Pearl’ which he has raced and is now for sale.
Chris Dady

Post by Chris Dady »

Thanks!

Nice to be back - once the preparation is complete of course, and I have a house and Fairthorpe to finish first (So Sally tells me)! :)

The 'new' car only raced in 1972 and 1973, was (and still is) green. I know it competed in the MG car club event 26/27 May 1973 and Bentley Drivers on September 1972 - in that race it finished just behind the 4/4 number 85 driven by a certain M A Smith!

I am told it did circa 15 races in those two seasons, and am seeing Richard Vogt later this week so will quiz him further.

John - I know you have an 'e' however it is a bonus to get replies from you and Leigh soon to be of MilleMiglia fame I am told! A bit of advice - to ensure a happy team atmosphere do not mention 'Norwich' 'Ipswich' and 'Football' in the same sentence in Leigh's hearing - albeit I have to admit Ipswich have a game in hand!

Jack - twin cam is in Wales! But not competing. :(

See you all soon!
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Chris, I will dig out my BDC programmes and see what I can find. I do have some photos from those meetings but I suspect they will only be of my old Series One.
When I have rummaged I will report back.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Chris

I have just checked the 1973 BDC 25th August programme and there is no mention of a Richard Vogt so I guess he had probably stopped by this point?

Richard.
Chris Dady

Post by Chris Dady »

Thanks for looking Richard - much appreciated! :)

I met Richard Vogt today and it seems he mainly did the occasional MG car club event, he recalls particularly at Silverstone and Brands in 1972 up to 1975.

I have got the homolgamated modifications list for the car from Jim, so can start to think about getting it ready for next season. Perhaps I will start by finding someone to talk to about the engine - any ideas? :?:
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Chris,

I have looked back in my old race programmes and results and this is all I could find. I will have a look at my old photographs of this event and see if I can find the car although I am not hopeful.

Chris Dady

Post by Chris Dady »

Thanks Mary - you must have a good filing system! :)
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

You are welcome!
And yes I do have a good filing system!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Mary – if you had a super memory – and mirrors that you use – then you may have more info as it seems you beat him by half a second !

Chris – there are of course others on that grid who you can still contact today if you wanted to.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Leigh, do I detect a thinly veiled attack on my driving technique.......?
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I am commenting on your driving technique in 1972 – when you were a wild young thing. But I suspect I am digging myself into a hole here…. :oops: