Goodwood Revival

Races, track days, testing ...
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Goodwood Revival

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Thank you Bob.
I hope the food is up to standard and that the assorted participants do not prove to be too elusive.
I think Ian will spend most of his time fettling Malcolm's cars so please chuck him a sandwich from time to time.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Malcolm qualified third for his race behind a Healey and Jochen Mass' 300SL all three witing 100ths of each other, should be a good race especially if wet.

Mary made contact with Mr Grimes and have pictures!!!

Theres is a second Morgan in the race driven by Rupert Richards.

Weather 'threatening'.

Jack, have followed your instructions and have pics of Bill, sadly not one of him spinning, but will keep my eyes open.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

It's good to hear that you are on the case Bobby boy.
We look forward to more updates...
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Go to you tube type in "Goodwood revival 2013 live" and watch everything!

Better to delay by 1 minute from "live" which then avoids the shimmer

Malcom Pauls car just got hit in tonites race

PS Its only available LIVE, so you cannot yet download after the event
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Tipped it down with rain almost from the start, a couple of shunts caused delays, safety car deployed, race flagged after 70 some minutes. Electrical blackout means no results available as yet.
Malcolm and Rick finished intact, both declaring before the race that they did not like the wet. Temendous battle for the lead initially with Cooper Bristol holding off several C-Type Jag's.

This morning bright and sunny and should hopefully, not rain today. tomorrow is another matter. Pics will be available on Tuesday.

Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Up date. Malcolm and Rick finished 10th, despite Malcolm being punted in the rear by an HWM Alta Jaguar, putting a big dent in the rear tail fin.

Billy finished his race intact, however, the Cooper Ford is not a quick car.

No sign of Mark Shears so far.
Weather; not raining!

We await tomorrow with trepidation.

Bob
Regards
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

Just to add a little colour to Bob and Andy's reports :-)

Malcolm Paul and 1955 Lotus-Bristol Mk X (Rick Bourne in background and Ian Grimes in white).

Blydenstein/Lawrence 1963 Vauxhall VX 4/90 50 years on from its last visit.

Billy Bellinger's mount for the weekend - 1955 Cooper-Ford with pre-Crossflow, twin SUs, drum brakes cast in the wheels, transverse leaf spring front suspension.

Malcolm Paul's much-raced +4.

Rupert Richards' venerable +4 - anyone have any information about this car ?

Have (historic) Fun 8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edited by Andy Downes on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Skipper'
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Malcolm finished fourth behind A Healey, Merc. 300SL and a Ferrari. Initially he ran second before the Healey came through, and then held the Ferrari at bay for a number of laps, when it got past (I don't know how) He chased it home, just not able to repass. Waether was warm and sunny and so far the rain has held off.

Bob.
Regards
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Andy,
Great photos of the 2 Morgans. You asked about MVJ 101, well I don't know if you have a copy of "MORGAN The Heritage Years 1954-1960", if so, on the assumption the car and registration have remained as one throughout, it is mentioned in the years 1955 to 1958. Look for the name of John McKecknie who owned and raced the car at the time.
In 1958, page 228 in the book, to quote " Another racing Morgan for sale at this time was John McKecknie's Plus Four MVJ 101, for John was now racing an AC Ace before undertaking his compulsory National Service. His Morgan was offered as having a highly tuned TR2 engine with special inlet manifold, SU H6 carburettors, and a four branch exhaust. The whole car had recently been rebuilt."
Don't see any mention of it after that.
I was sat in the Lavant Corner stand watching the Fordwater Trophy, fantastic to see both Morgans at speed through that corner !! Doesn't get any better than the Goodwood Revival.

Eddie Singleton.

P.S.
You haven't any more photos of the two cars at the meeting ??
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

A number of photo's will be on the usual site before too long Eddie, but after three long days and then driving home today, it will be while before I get them sorted. It was great to see Malcolm dicing with the Ferrari, with the Mog seemingly better under breaking into the Chicane, but not enough grunt to challenge on the straighter bits. Rupert drove well after a bit of a lay off, and finished just one place off his top ten target.

Bob
Regards
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Eddie,

I have all the books - why I didn't look, I've no idea :oops:

However, your wish is my ...etc...etc...

Let me know if you want high resolution copies of any of them.

Best Wishes

Andy

'Skipper'
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Hi Andy,

Many thanks, the photos are just the ticket.

Eddie.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Some Morgan pictures now on the usual Skydrive site.

Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Worth looking at the comparative abilities of the Ferrari V Morgan, through the Chicane! Notice how even when held up by backmarkers Malcolm closes up on the red car, but 2.1 V 2.9 does not work.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

It really was a good race and I spoke to Malcolm afterwards who said that once the Ferrari Tour de France had got past him he couldn't re-pass because the Ferrari had that much more grunt. The Ferrari (owned we are led to believe by a popular Radio 2 DJ) was driven by Chris' friend Max Girardo.

Malcolm was very complimentary about his driving and I didn't like to tell Malcolm that although the commentator had bigged him up as an experienced racing driver for over 25 years (mostly in Morgans) Max had only first sat in the car on Friday!

How true that was I don't know as Jonny was talking to Max later in the day about the car that he had sold (to Chris?) at a recent RM Auctions auction for a world record price for a T de F...

Anyway a great day and although it rained half way through the headlining TT race it certainly didn't dampen enthusiasm. Especially in our corporate hospitality box in the inside of the Chicane that Jonny had been invited to!

Off to Spa now and no doubt there will be reports of the Morgan activities to follow.

Cheers

Mark