Moderator: John Clarke

Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Where are they Now?

Post by Mary Lindsay »

What an amazing man!
Here is a direct link to the obituary:
http://www.sportscardigest.com/remember ... 1925-2013/
Mark, does your son have any photos we could use on the new web site (which I am still working on)?
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Robin, I saw another photo of your car a couple of weeks ago ill see if I can get a copy for you but I won’t be able to do this until the end of Feb at the earliest but will keep you posted.

John, thanks for the information on George Waltman what a fabulous story sadly not likely to happen again!!

Mark, is the car in your garage yet :lol:

Richard.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Richard - I see from Sportscar Digest my son is working on it...!

Mary - what photographs were you thinking of?

Cheers

Mark
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Mark - of the Waltman car.
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

John Emberson wrote:The year was 1968 and not only did George drive solo in the Daytona 24 but he also did it without benefit of a pit crew. And, as they say on TV, “But, that’s not all!” George drove, did not trailer, his Aztec Racing Morgan Plus 4 to Daytona from his home in Great Neck, New York, a distance of over 1,000 miles.
During the 24 hour race George complied with FIA driver rules requiring a rest break of one hour after every four hours on the track by servicing the car, taking a nap or getting a bite to eat. When leaving the pit area to “take care of business” he would place an “Out to Lunch” sign on the car.
With no pit crew he had to fuel the car himself, change tires and do other maintenance or repairs.
Pure Class
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I am a little concerned as to why George didn’t seem to have any friends :?:

I recall there have been one or two who completed Le Mans solo

The good old days.....
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

I was intrigued to find out more about Walt...found these references online which may be of interest:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/ ... n-USA.html
http://www.floridastockcars.com/gallery ... n.JPG.html
Amazing story...hope I have uploaded links correctly! 8-[
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

And this link was responded to by Walt's son...so if someone wanted to make contact via Facebook...
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013020 ... /130209955
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I am already in email contact with Walter's son Chris.

The funeral was on Sunday I think and when a reasonable interval has elapsed I will get in touch with him again.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Well done Mary.

Jonny has only got pictures of the OSCA in period not the Morgan. It would be great to get some more of George in the Morgan.

Cheers

Mark
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Ref Leigh - Eddie Hall drove solo post was in his Bentley. Louis Rossier "shared" with his son, Jean-Louis, and only let the lad drive for 3 laps - enough time for a loo break, a cup of coffee and a banana! They won in the Talbot-Lago that year.....
Bruce Stapleton

Post by Bruce Stapleton »

Hi All,
As regards the picture of AOA on page 9 of this thread from Andy and Richards response to it. Most interesting!
I have some photos of ALT when I raced it in the late sixties, having bought it from Alan House. It appears to me to be the same car as AOA in your photo. The single wiper, long bonnet strap, type of headlight and identical angles on the oil cooler hoses make it practically certain to be the same car. I leave you to work out the chain of events! Certainly the 64 registration of ALT was a lot later than the chassis number of the car so go figure!
The big Healy in the picture is John Gotts and the midget is Roger Enever I believe. Dart-Maclay?
Bruce
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Hello All - has anyone noticed that the 4 seat Le Mans replica EVR 804 is in the Coys auction on 27th April at Ascott Race course? It looks lovely in the photograph in their press release. Just thought I'd mention it.....
Guy Loveridge

Post by Guy Loveridge »

Greetings all,

I have just bought 424 AMX - the ex Pat Kennett 1953/54 "interim" Plus 4. I am, obviously, rather chuffed to have a Plus 4 with such an interesting history, and one that is so well illustrated. My 3 sons are chuffed that we "FINALLY DAD!!!" have a morgan that we can all go out in at once!

I wondered if anyone has any good pictures of the car doing things? I lknow it was extensivelt trialled, and with no small measure of success, but I also believe that Pat sprinted and hill-climbed it - I have a programme from Harewood in 1979 for example....but did he ever race it? ? ?

Any memories or pictures or recollections of the car are more than welcome and most gratefull recieved!

Best,

Guy
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Guy,

I have a brand new pair of aluminium silver on black number plates " 424 AMX " for that car, which I had made prior to me selling it to Bill Wykeham a couple of years ago. Let me know if you would like them. They're no use for any other vehicle!
I also may still have somewhere in the workshop a spare interim cowl grill (not perfect, a little damaged I seem to remember)

Regards,

Tim Ayres.