Coventry Climax Block Wanted

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Coventry Climax Block Wanted

Post by John Clarke »

Do you have a Coventry Climax block gathering dust in your garage? I need one to get my racing 4-4 back on the track for next year. Please leave a message or contact me through the private message facility.

Many thanks

John
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Coventry Climax Block Wanted

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I haven't got a Coventry Climax block but I think there are some rocking horse droppings.......

What did you do to the one in the car?
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

What about that chap we met at the Sunbeam Owners Club new archive facility in Banbury a couple of months ago? I thought he said he had a block if not a mostly complete engine.

Sorry not to have seen you after my race yesterday but we were called in to the scruitineering bay - which was a waste of time.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mary - short answer - I raced it for 8 years!!! - longer answer is 4 x Le Mans, 2 x Porto, 6 x BRDC 500, 2 x Spa, 1 x Dijon and Nurburgring, numerous VSCCs and 2 x Goodwoods - mostly races of 1 hour plus. Result is that my block cracked between the exhaust valve and main bore. This I had stitched, but another crack appeared a few mm next to it. This area of the block gets very hot and I think it did not help that I had a valve seat inserted putting extra pressure in this vulnerable area. (at Crystal Palace, the 2nd crack let the valve seat escape....arrghhh!) My spare block, once the liners were out, was found to have a crack at the bottom of the bore. Hence the request for another block.

Hi Mark - yes, am trying Rob Green/Terry Foxon/George Proudfoot but as yet not managed to get hold of the former. Enjoyed your race - good battle with the red Turner.

regards

john
Bruce Stapleton

Post by Bruce Stapleton »

Hi John,
I have one of those Climax Mobile fire pumps that used a Coventry Climax engine which I believe can be used in some applications but I am not sure about those facts. I'm not even sure what cc it is. You will no doubt know more about these! If its of any use let me know. Its in Scotland at the moment.
Kind regards
Bruce Stapleton
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Bruce - I'm guessing it may be a later type Climax engine which were all aluminium, derivatives of which were used in Lotus/Cooper/Hillman Imp etc. The pre war Climax is an iron block and head - weighs a ton and unlikely to be used as a mobile unit. Let me know whether you can lift it!
Thanks
john
john fildes

Post by john fildes »

Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Maybe useful in the paddock in case car catches fire :)
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Wow.....and the wheels are perfect!!!

Progress to-date - been offered two cracked 'Morgan' blocks and have been reviewing an early Triumph block (from Sunbeam/Triumph man) - but water channels don't match my Morgan head, there is no water outlet on offside and the distibutor is driven by the dynamo which I believe are like the very early Mogs. This one's on the back burner for now.

The search continues.......
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

hi John
I dont know if this company can help, depend upon the crack, but these people are used by most og the F1 teams to seal castings, I think George Proudfoot used them once?
http://www.ultraseal.co.uk/
Barry